Dienstag, 21. November 2017

Alpen Travel Tips: Christmas in CHESTER, England

Photo of the Christmas Lights at Chester Cross - Credits to Chester 360
Charming Chester with it's still in tact Roman built city wall, its breathtaking Cathedral and it's stunning Tudor architecture throughout is one of my favourite medieval towns to visit - especially at Christmas time!

The first thing to do is to visit it's 

CHRISTMAS MARKET



70 wooden chalet stalls nestled next to the magnificent 11th century Cathedral reminisce of markets which have taken place in Chester for centuries. Loose yourself in the enchantment  of in the glowing lights of the Cathedral lording over this market treasure and revel in the smells of warm mulled wine (or as the Germans call it Glühwein) and roasting chestnuts.  Wander around the quaint stalls to find that perfect holiday gift for a loved one. The charm and ambiance of this olde world look and feel market is not to be missed.

For more information: Chester Christmas Market

WALK THE CITY WALL

Chester is one of the few remaining English Cities with it's fortifying city wall still in tact. And no wonder! It was built by the Romans almost 2000 years ago! The complete walk is about 2 miles, however the walk can be done in sections - one of which goes right next to the Cathedral grounds and by the town clock tower in the City Centre.
 


AFTERNOON TEA AT THE GROSVERNOR


Nicole and I greeted like royalty
at the Grosvenor
Treat yourself to an Afternoon Tea or special holiday dinner at the luxurious Grosvenor - Chester's most famous hotel. On my most recent trip back, my niece, Nicole, on her first trip to England had never experienced an afternoon tea before. So, I decided to spoil her rotten and booked us in for one of its famous Afternoon Teas - complete with scones, finger sandwiches and scrumptious pastries and cakes made fresh daily.















The Grosvenor has a rich history - in fact, there has been an Inn on this site since the 16th Century, although the current building dates back to 1865. So if you are in the festive holiday spirit - treat yourself to an afternoon delight not to be forgotten at the Grosvenor.

Pre-booking a must. For more information or to book go to Grosvenor Afternoon Tea

SHOPPING

Keeping to true form since its medieval days of hosting a daily market, Chester in modern day times hosts a myriad of shops - from old to new. 

One of my favourites is the antique silver smith and jeweler LOWE & SONS. Established in 1770, they are the oldest jeweler in Chester and the third oldest in England. I have a dear English friend, who recently passed away, who would gift me the most beautiful pieces from this shop over the years. Each gift is carefully packaged in a "Tiffany" looking box with bow to make the gift even more special. 
"Chester hallmarked silver has become collectable
 the world over for the quality of the items
 as well as their rarity.
"

In my friend's honour, I paid a visit to Lowe & Sons and was greatly impressed. They have a museum upstairs which is fascinating to visit. Indeed, one of the relatives of Lowe was one of the famous officers on the Titanic - Officer Harold Lowe -  who saved many lives and who himself. They have also been commissioned for centuries to make the Silver Cups for the Chester Race Course - England's oldest race track dating back to the early 16th Century.  

Lowe & Sons is located on the medieval upper walkway called the Chester Rows. The Rows are unique and nothing the same exists anywhere else in the world - another reason to go shopping in Chester!

WHERE TO STAY

If one wishes to treat themselves to the very finest for the holiday visit (and who can afford it), I would highly recommend staying at the Grosvenor Hotel which is situated in the heart of the city and hosts those amazing Afternoon Teas as described above.

For those more on a budget, as we were on this trip, I booked my niece and I a cute two bed cottage tucked away in a quiet Mew (or small back street alley) - yet only a few minutes walk to the Chester Clock Tower and the bustling downtown. It was perfect as it also offered free parking which is hard to find in downtown Chester.

Check it out: Stylish Cottage in the Heart of Historical City Centre


              ******************************************************************

I have so many more suggestions of things to do in Chester, but have run out of room on this BLOG post. Feel free to check out other BLOG posts of mine about Chester or EMAIL me with questions or for more of my suggestions. I love sharing my favs with my fans!


******************************************************************
ME! In a pre-historic
Irish Bee Hive Hut
  ABOUT
ALPEN TIPS & PICKS 
European Travel Adventures

Enjoy your next trip to England. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions when planning your own trip to England, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria or Bavaria! After living in and travelling to Europe for almost 30 years, I love to help plan and recommend as and when I can! 

I can even assist in bookings and being a personal guide if one likes! My trips offer a unique and much more personal perspective to traveling in Europe than commercial operators

Read a little bit more about me and my travel style and services in my BIO HERE

Enjoy the adventure!
Mary Dawn DeBriae
European Tips and Picks -
Alpen Schatz Style


"LIKE" this Post? Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/alpenschatz?pnref=story

and our super cool Euro Alpine style website:


Keine Kommentare: