Dienstag, 21. November 2017

Alpen Travel Tips: Christmas in OXFORD




The dreaming spires of Oxford add to the charm of any visit to this old historical University town. With its 39 colleges, shops, restaurants and museums, coupled with a fabulous history, there is always something exciting to discover.

Unique Historical Walking Tours of Oxford
Peter Berry, Blackwells Tour Expert

On this trip, my Niece and I went on a fantastic "Inklings" walking tour around Oxford, discovering the haunts of J.R.R. Tolkein, C.S. Lewis and other Inklings members. In addition we learned much more about Oxford's rich history. 

Blackwells Book Shop, dating back to 1879, sponsors a variety of literary themed tours from Spring to Autumn - including this one. They are well worth the hour+ with Peter Berry who has been leading these specialized walks for over 19 years now.   

A special Holiday Walking Tour: Blackwells, with Peter as the guide, are running a "Christmas Walking Tour of Oxford". 

The tour encompasses all things concerning Christmas in Oxford and the University: Past and Present. Peter is an excellent host and if you find yourself in Oxford on one of his walks you won't be disappointed. This holiday tour ends up with a complimentary glass of mulled wine or a cup of tea/coffee in a 16th century Tavern (and I bet I know which one that would be!

The tours run from 14th of November through December 15th. Enjoy!

For more information: BLACKWELLS CHRISTMAS TOUR

Night beauty in Oxford - Bridge of Sighs

Christmas at Blenheim Palace


A short drive from Oxford is the magnificent Blenheim Palace - birthplace of Winston Churchill and to me one of the finest palaces in all of Europe. 



The palace and grounds are well worth a visit at any time of the year, however, every holiday season, Blenheim embraces Christmas like no other. They turn their formal gardens into an evening wonderland of lights and fantasy, with an hour long walking trail of lights to mesmerize and enchant.  

For more information:
BLENHEIM CHRISTMAS






Katharine and fellow guide
with Fresca in Blenheim Palace

To make the perfect outing, I would make a day and evening outing out of your visit. Visit the Plalace during the day, then make an evening of the special Christmas lights in the gardens.

My good friend Katharine Nathan is in fact one of the superb guides at Blenheim. So if you go, ask for her and tell her "Mary Dawn" sent you! She is also their French and German guide, so if you'd prefer to hear the tour in one of those languages, do not hesitate to ask.



Where to Stay in Oxford

Well, none other than my cozy Victorian home in the Divinity Road! 


My three bedroom home is rented out when I am back in America working Alpen Schatz most of the year, so be my guest and check it out 


Since I acquired my home almost a year ago, I have delighted in adding my own personal touches to make it a very special, warm and inviting place to reside whilst visiting Oxford and the surrounding areas, to include London and the quaint Cotswolds.

 

Go to AirBnB to see more pictures and/or to book your stay :) 

I look forward to welcoming you into my home.



              ******************************************************************

I have so many more suggestions of things to do in Oxford, but have run out of room on this BLOG post. Feel free to check out other BLOG posts of mine featuring Oxford or EMAIL me with questions or for more of my suggestions. I love sharing my favs with my fans!


******************************************************************
ME! In a pre-historic
Irish Bee Hive Hut
  ABOUT
ALPEN TIPS & PICKS 
European Travel Adventures

Enjoy your next trip to England. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions when planning your own trip to England, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria or Bavaria! After living in and travelling to Europe for almost 30 years, I love to help plan and recommend as and when I can!

I can even assist in bookings and being a personal guide if one likes! My trips offer a unique and much more personal perspective to traveling in Europe than commercial operators

Read a little bit more about me and my travel style and services in my BIO HERE

Enjoy the adventure!

Mary Dawn DeBriae



European Tips and Picks -
Alpen Schatz Style


"LIKE" this Post? Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/alpenschatz?pnref=story

and our super cool Euro Alpine style website:


Keine Kommentare: