Dienstag, 21. November 2017

Alpen Travel Tips: Christmas in LONDON


Holiday shopping on Oxford St
OXFORD STREET

One of my favourite streets to walk down during the holiday period is the famed Oxford Street in London. 
House of Fraser

Not only do the spectacular, sparking light displays adorning the trees and strung above the street add a magical touch to your shopping experience, 

but how I LOVE how the high-end department stores go all out decorating their buildings.



In addition, their lavish window displays are a work of art in themselves.


Both of these window displays reminded me of Telluride: The sporty paragliding Santa...and the private jet Santa jet-setting into town on Christmas Eve with his swanky patrons :)

Colourful Carnaby St
a few weeks ago on my trip
CARNABY ST

Just off of Oxford Street is the iconic Carnaby St - birthplace of Swinging London in the 60's and supporting all sorts of  street saavy fashion and culture ever since.

From once hosting some of the first "Pesthouses" for  victims of the Great Plague in the 1600's, it has come a long way to becoming

"the epicentre of culture and lifestyle in London’s West End." 

I remember shopping there when I was a student back in the 80's and bought myself a super cool hat, which I still have today.  Carnaby St has not changed that much from then apart from setting the latest trends of cool "street" fashion in London. Definitely worth a visit!

For more info check out Carnaby St



My own hat purchased back in the '80's in Carnaby St!

For the top 8 Christmas Street Light Hot Spots in London, check out: Top 8 Lights in London 

HYDE PARK


Just as I was strolling through my beloved Hyde Park only a few weeks ago, I came across the largest project I had ever seen erected there. I stopped to ask a worker and he told me that they were setting up the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland.

Beginning as a humble outdoor German style Christmas market 10 years ago, it has now grown into a full blown holiday amusement park with the original Christmas market remaining, but having expanded to include over a hundred attractions such as rides, Nordic Ice and Alpine style Hütte bars, food stalls, ice skating, live music, shows and even a circus.


It is free to enter, however some of the shows and attractions do require admission.

So if in London, it is worth a "bummel" (German for stroll) through Hyde Park to check it out.

More info at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland

ACCOMMODATION TIP


Rhodes Hotel

I absolutely adore the quaint RHODES HOTEL in Sussex Gardens, a newly refurbished, clean and reasonable hotel not far from Paddington Station and a short walk to Hyde Park (and the Winter Wonderland) or a 15 minute walk to Marble Arch and the start of festive Oxford St. 

The Rhodes hotel is also close Tube stations and Busses awaiting to whisk you all over London. It is my repeat favourite every time I return for many reasons, to include: clean refurbished rooms, a super location, easy access from Heathrow via the Heathrow Express and Paddington Station, and the staff are kind and accommodating.

My room upon arrival
Check out their specials directly on their web-site where you will get the best rates. They also give repeat visitors appreciation vouchers towards future visits!
My Canadian Niece, Nicole, being kissed
by Paddington Bear on her 1st trip to London


Rhodes Hotel 195 Sussex Gardens, Hyde Park, London W2 2RJ
Tel: +44 207 262 0537


**********************

I have so many more suggestions of things to do in London, but have run out of room on this BLOG post. Feel free to check out other Blog Posts of mine featuring London or EMAIL me with questions or for more suggestions on any aspect of your trip to London. I love sharing my favs with my fans!






ME! In a pre-historic
Irish Bee Hive Hut


ALPEN TIPS & PICKS 
European Travel Adventures

Enjoy your next trip to England. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions when planning your own trip to England, Ireland, Switzerland, Austria or Bavaria! After living in and travelling to Europe for almost 30 years, I love to help plan and recommend as and when I can! 

I can even assist in bookings and being a personal guide if one likes! My trips offer a unique and much more personal perspective to traveling in Europe than commercial operators

Read a little bit more about me and my travel style and services in my BIO HERE

Enjoy the adventure!
Mary Dawn DeBriae
European Tips and Picks -
Alpen Schatz Style


"LIKE" this Post? Be sure to "LIKE" our Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/alpenschatz?pnref=story

and our super cool Euro Alpine style website:

Keine Kommentare: